Friday, May 19, 2017

HAIM

Music is a medium that can convey many things and even effect emotion and mood.  The right song can bring about feelings that you may have never even experienced, yourself.  You may have never been left at the altar, but through the artist's creativity, they can evoke the associated emotions and pull them out of you.  The right 70's song can even make kids nostalgic for a time period that they have only seen on TV.  Music is powerful and the people/groups that make it can be very influential and achieve fame and fortune.  Then, there are some groups that just make music because they are compelled to do so.  Music, simply pours from these people and they are important, whether they achieve wild success or not, because they are important to their associated fanbases.  One such musical group is HAIM.  I am a HAIM fan.

HAIM is an American pop rock group from Los Angeles.  The band consists of Este Haim, Danielle Haim, Alana Haim, and Dash Sutton.  As you may have guessed the three ladies are siblings and come from a very musical family.  They have all been playing together from a very young age and are multi-instrumentalists.  This is a brief video about their rise to notoriety.


I found them, partially because of my friend Tim who is constantly a purveyor of things that are good.  In fact, he will probably be mentioned on this blog frequently.  Tim showed them to me and we would often listen to them in my work office between phone calls.

I instantly fell in love with their first album, "Days Are Gone."  The top tracks (as I see it) on the album each have their own je ne sais quoi and are as follows:
-"The Wire," where Danielle's vocals have little glimpses of a Michael Jackson-esque quality.
-"My Song 5," which exhibits harder edges than the rest of the 80's fueled pop-rock vibe and shows how funky and interesting that the band can be.
-"Forever" has some great harmonies and a constantly-moving bass line.
-"Running If You Call My Name" reminds me of a good Fleetwood Mac song.
So, as you can see, I really enjoy every track on the album and in a time period where music is arranged into playlists where you pick and pull, "Days Are Gone" is an album for continuous play.

So, then there was radio silence from HAIM...literally.  They played shows and festivals, but that was mostly it.  Since 2013.  I thought to myself, "when is something new going to come out?" and I asked Tim on Facebook.  He did not know either.  This prompted me to head to their social media, where I found, much to my surprise, that they were going to be releasing something the next week.  I was excited for the instant gratification and tuned in with the other HAIM fans to see what it was.

What was released was a Paul Thomas Anderson directed, one-shot video recording of the three girls playing one of their new singles live.  This song/video captivated me and I watched it probably 20 times in a row.  The song is called "Right Now" and I encourage you to watch it RIGHT NOW.


Este's "right now" lyric is always on time and pierces.  It haunts me.  I love this song so much.  It makes me so excited for the new album, "Something To Tell You" which releases July 7th, 2017.  Their follow up single, "Want You Back" was still good, with tight harmonies, but not as good.  So, I will hope for more songs like "Right Now" on the album and stay sure that whatever it may be, I will grow to love it.

As we wait for July 7th together, I will stay bumping HAIM in steady rotation.  I will probably watch the "Right Now" video and make bass-face with Este 16 more times today.  If you have never heard of them, I hope that this post opened your eyes and that you will join me in fandom and anticipation for their new album.

"What's Good, Scott?"  No matter the instruments they play, the style of music they indulge in, or how long I have to wait for it...HAIM is good.

4 comments:

  1. Even though I have a passionate, committed love to heavy metal, I am adulterous with 80s pop (or reminiscent of 80s pop). Your description of HAIM intrigues me. I will listen to their available music and pull tracks that I want to add to my small, but growing, "pop pile."
    Just don't tell heavy metal.
    ~ JUPCHURCH

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment. Their new album comes out soon!

      Delete
  2. How do you pronounce their name?

    ReplyDelete