Wednesday, August 28, 2019

Bon Iver's Album, "I, I"

I only know about cool music because of Jac, Tim, Randy, Sean, Nate, Spotify, and Brycen. They rarely shoot me in the wrong direction. I hope that I can make your list of people who tell you about good music when you make your blog to promote things that you like. Maybe after reading this, you will fall in love with Bon Iver and make your own post. I don't know, but I bet that you could do it.


Bon Iver is an indie band founded by a man named, Justin Vernon. He had a lemony snickets (series of unfortunate events) that caused him to write and record the first album, "For Emma, Forever Ago." He was isolated and trying to get better in a cabin and Wisconsin when fame came a'calling. Pitchfork, Stereogum, etc... they were all into it. Then he wrote another one, self titled, and people liked that one even more. 2012 brought a Best New Artist Grammy. Then, 5 years later "22, A Million" came out. You would think that Justin would stick to what was obviously working/progressing his career and instead, he zagged on everybody. "22, A Million" was described by Amanda Petrusich for Pitchfork magazine's review like this:
"Bon Iver’s first album in five years takes an unexpected turn toward the strange and experimental. But behind the arranged glitches and processed voices are deeply felt songs about uncertainty."
She was and is very right. "22, A Million" was my entry point to Bon Iver and exactly what the doctor ordered. Now, I enter the story. 

The first time that I heard Bon Iver was on a comedy and music podcast that I co-hosted, but no longer exists called The Record Party. Randy played a song off of Bon Iver's "22, A Million" right after it came out in 2016 and I remember liking it, but I am not sure which song it was. I had a couple of drinks in me and was trying to be funny on the radio, so I have since forgiven myself for the two years that followed where I never looked into Bon Iver. I only saw Justin as someone who "is really good at music, but maybe too artsy for me to like casually."

Like I said, I did not think about it again until last year (2018). Eminem had dropped his "Kamikaze" album at the end of August and it had blown my mind. I was enamored with all of it, but the track "Fall" had the special abiliy of capturing my attention, not for the lyrics, but the music on the backtrack. The falsetto, the funkiness, the beat... I was smitten. When I pulled back the curtain to see who the Wizard was, it was Justin Vernon. I had to have more! Enter "22, A Million."

I wore that album out. First, my favorites pierced the darkness. There was a heavy emphasis on "715 - CR∑∑KS." Probably my favorite of all. Then, I found new favorites. "33 "GOD"" and "22 (OVER S∞∞N)." They became staples. Then, I stopped skipping any of it and the melody to "10 d E A T h b R E a s T ⚄ ⚄" began invading my mind and sitting as a delicious hum in my mouth. After all of that, I was done. I began thinking that I might as well drop $300 on a show because ladies, gentleman, and non-binary folks....I BECAME A HUGE FAN OF BON IVER.

Fast forward to July of 2019. I was looking for something to write a blog about. Something great to share. I thought, "Hey...Bon Iver!" So I looked to find out that he had a new album coming out 8/30/19. It was perfect. Probably far enough out that I would not mess it up, but relevant enough to give my faithful readers an actionable post. "Check out the new record," it would say. But, then, in the way that Justin is always zagging on someone, he zagged on me.

Multiple listening parties were scheduled on August 7th, around the world. Then, the very next day at 6:00am EST, they started to release the previously un-released tracks of the album one at a time, every hour on the hour until 11:00 am EST. The album was released on Apple Music and Spotify as well as other popular streaming services 22 days before it was slated to be officially released. "I,I" was here!

Boy, is it good. Bon Iver is What's Good, not just today, but most of the time. His album release antics threw off all of my timetables and hit me in the guts with emotion/beauty, but I ain't even mad about it. "I, I" is a masterpiece. The falsetto is higher, the groove's funkier, and I might possibly like this one better than it's predecessor. Now, I get to share it with you.
You look great, by the way...
That makes me so happy. Sharing good news is the purpose of this blog and the desire to spread joy seems to be missing from us as people, culturally. We gotta milk joy out of the lemons we have and then make sure that our brothers and sisters aren't thirsty. I don't know what gets us down all of the time. Maybe it is just too much bad news...too much fear, but my official opinion is as follows:
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 
Show those that would oppress you that you are still capable of feeling something and check out the smooth baritone on this album. Then, if you love any of it, share with me in the comments. Bon Iver's Album, "I, I" is What's Good, Scott. Link below is the album.


No comments:

Post a Comment