Friday, June 28, 2019

The Dark

Hey there, ya'll! I don't mean to be inflammatory, but there are a lot of lights on this planet. Street lights outside, skyscraper lights, neon signs, Las Vegas, lights on the space shuttle launch pad, lights inside (think closets, dining rooms, accent)...tons of lights dot everything. There are lights that simply seek to illuminate. Some lights give directions. Some lights sell us things. Lights... they are everywhere...except around me as often as I can arrange. I like The Dark. This post is about The Dark.


When I speak about darkness, it is important to note that I am not speaking about Charlie Murphy, may he rest in peace. Now that that has been noted, I will continue. The Dark is something that exists almost everywhere (not Alaska for a month?) and gets kind of a bad rap. I mean...muggings, rapes, violent crimes, vandalism, etc. all happen most often in the dark. You hear mothers say to their children to come home because "nothing good happens after dark," but between you and me, they are mostly just trying to protect you from the aforementioned list. Lots of cool things happen in the dark.

One cool thing about the dark that is worth bringing up is the fact that there are nocturnal animals in it. These little critters cannot be bothered to look at the sun, so they come out mostly at night. These are your owls, hedgehogs, tweakers, bats, aardvarks, Jake Gyllenhaal, etc. Some of these animals are awesome and while we rest, they get busy keeping things rolling at night. Think about it...when animals go extinct, it messes up the ecosystem, so every animal is important in some way. I dunno what function raccoons provide, other than knocking over trash cans, but if they died out, we would probably find out that some essential function of animal life on the planet would be left unattended and then we would all die of something horrible. So, by proxy, nocturnal animals are cool in the way that all animals are cool. They exist, we exist and it is ok.

Most nocturnal animals are great and necessary creatures that live and work in the dark. We need most all of them...... except binturong/s (not sure how to pluralize it, but I do mean the whole species). Auto-correct doesn't even recognize binturongs as a thing. 
If binturongs went extinct, we would probably be OK...or at the very least I would probably die from high blood pressure way before I died of binturong extinction. If you google search them, they all look like they need a haircut and I even heard that they smell like popcorn. Don't need 'em. Binturongs are one decidedly un-cool thing about the dark. 

VALERIE/FLICKR

Anyways, another cool thing about the dark is the peace that it brings. !!!LIGHTS, SOUNDS, DISTRACTIONS!!! For me, all of these things are lessened when I am in The Dark. It helps me to center my thoughts and think clearly. I love just being still and quiet in The Dark. It seems as though death is going to be extremely fulfilling for me. As practice (for death), sometimes I sit in the shower in complete darkness and go through the motions of breathing very slowly and clearing my mind...(that's not weird, right?!?) I don't know, but I love it. Very calming. I heard that people pay a lot of money to do this in California, but I find that I am able to think clearly or rest peacefully right in my own shower and all it takes is extreme isolation, silence, and most of all The Dark.

I am not alone, ya'll. People, literally, can't get enough of The Dark. So much so, that they buy stupid masks to cover their eyes. This brings the dark from the room right onto your face. It would probably be great for me except for the fact that I am a pretty fashion-forward individual and I lead with my eyes. They can be accented with sunglasses, but never covered up with a stupid eyehole-less Ninja Turtle mask. Never.

So...that wraps up my thoughts on The Dark. If you are looking for peace or maybe a new raccoon friend (never a binturong), turn some lights off and love your life. The Dark truly is What's Good Scott.

No comments:

Post a Comment